Monday, September 21, 2009

World Alzheimer's Day - September 21

I would be remiss if I did not post about this very special day -- World Alzheimer's Day. I lost my Father to Alzheimer's in 2005. Nothing can describe losing your parent twice -- once to Alzheimer's and then to death. This disease is not only devastating to the Alzheimer's patient, but also to loved ones, family and friends.

Alzheimer's can rob a person of memories present and past. Minutes on a clock can become hours and vice versa. Colors will become faded and unrecognizable. People who are family and friends are now strangers. Simple things to me and you are tasking to an Alzheimer's patient such as buttoning a shirt, tieing shoelaces or zipping a zipper. Places that were familiar are now strange.

Strides are being made in research to help with this dreaded disease, but it seems like more and more people are being diagnosed every day. Can research keep up with the numbers? Is medication enough? Is the protein that may be at the root of this dreaded disease really the cause?

For now we have to depend on our contributions and funding to assist research scientists and doctors in finding a cure and to provide the best medicines available for our loved ones, family and friends.

SUPPORT ALZHEIMER'S RESEARCH !

1 comment:

tubaplayer said...

I've known other people who's relatives had Alzheimer's, and their stories, but the closest I've come to dealing dealing with it personally was with my dear departed grandma, who lived into her 90's. She had started suffering from dementia during the last year or so of her life. It was a hard and sad for me the day I phoned her and she never quite figured out who I was. I was in FL, and she was in MI. Well, I am happy that I can say that on our next trip home she was quite in her "right mind" and we had a wonderful visit. That August was the last time we saw her alive, as she went home to the Lord in November. I thank God for the good final memory of Grandma, as it was also the last visit for our children to see their great-grandma. She was a wonderful "old lady," and also the dearest friend that I ever had in my life.

So while I haven't totally experienced the full effects of Alzheimer's in my life, that small taste was enough to make me appreciate how hard it is for those who deal with it in a daily basis.
God bless you, Sis!!