Saturday, September 19, 2009

Road Trip to the Gulf

Today after attending a memorial service for a dear friend that passed earlier in the week, I took a road trip to Dauphin Island, Alabama. A good trip to say the least. Actually took the car ferry from Dauphin Island across to Fort Morgan, Alabama and drove back home.

The ferry ride which was about 45 minutes gave me time to reflect on the day and the future. It also gave me some much needed perspective. Being at the water usually does that for me. I spent some time at Gulf Shores State Park watching the water and the waves. I don't know what there is about the sound. It seems to fixate me. I could of stayed all weekend, but other plans would not allow. Just the short time on the ferry and being on or near the water helped me to wrap my arms around things that have been bothering me for a few weeks. In particular, my upcoming back surgery. I can honestly say I'm ready to have the doctors proceed. Recovery of six to eight weeks seems like a long time, but the older you get, time flies by faster.

Sometimes I wish I could be nearer the water, but not a good thing on the Gulf Coast from June to November. But I will plan more trips to the water in the winter.

By the way, I saw a wedding on the beach at Gulf Shores. How happy that couple must be. I actually clapped from the pier when I saw them kiss. Starting a new life together. I wonder if they knew that others were watching with the serenity of the water and waves as the background music? I hope they have a happy life together. This event kind of made my day better especially with the early morning memorial service.

Snowbird needed the road trip and the water/waves to soothe her soul....

1 comment:

Scrabblequeen said...

Sorry to hear you've had a loss...and glad to know you found some solace in your trip on the water.