Friday, August 1, 2008

Standing on My Soapbox--Trumped Up Resumes

Sometimes I feel like things need to be said and other times it's good just to suck it up and say absolutely nothing. However, I am on my soapbox now.
*
I look at how hard I have worked throughout my life (35 years worth) and what it has taken me to get where I am at in my insurance career (licensed insurance agent with two designations and working on #3 and #4). Then I look at what others are trying to accomplish in their careers, but it is done with dishonesty.
*
When a resume is published and disseminated, make sure what you put on that resume is, in fact, true. Do these people who "trump up" their resumes think they will never get caught? It usually comes out in the wash. Most of the time, it is the little things that will break the resume falsifier.
*
I know of an instance here locally (and not in my office) where the person has made out that they have certain experience, qualifications and education. Now this is all questionable. Case-in-point: Most offices use a word processing program that we all know. Do you know how to print an envelope using this program? This is the basic-of-basics that even this old timer can do. Yes, they can send e-mails all day, but then most elementary kids can do that with their eyes closed. Do you know what an FEIN is? This person should and yet did not, but was supposedly in a previous operations position where this is actually "101" knowledge. Why lie about your work history? You either have the knowledge, are qualified to do the work or you are not. It is one thing to boss people around (and a lot of people are good at dishing out orders), but it is quite another to "know" the job for which you were hired. Remember: questions and comments in the workplace are a dead giveaway as to whether you are what you say you are. Liars are usually found out.
*
This is one time that I can honestly say that this individual needs to be discovered and fired. I don't say that often, but then I think falsifying a resume deserves the harshest outcome.
*
I can truthfully say in my working life of 35 years, my jobs have been secured honestly and without falsifying my resume. "Atta girl and boy and kudos" to all of you who have secured your jobs honestly with a resume that is not trumped up. Shame on all of you who have done otherwise!
*
P.S. I DON'T BEGRUDGE ANYONE A JOB, BUT OBTAIN IT HONESTLY!

No comments: