Sunday, October 5, 2008

Up and Down the Road and an Estate Auction

Sometimes you tend to take for granted what you see traveling the same road for over thirty years and then one day something changes. That is what happened to me this week. It started with a notice that someone had put next to my mailbox about an estate auction on the main road near where I live. I looked at the information and then dismissed the notice.
*
The notice hit particularly hard yesterday driving down the main road. I looked and it was the auction. Cars on either side of the road. A white tent was up with chairs. I looked again and could not believe my eyes. I had watched the lady that lived in this house for years tend her flowers, mow her lawn, maintain the gates and take care of her house and property. Now everything she had was being auctioned away. Sometimes you take for granted that everything behind those gates to the property and doors of the house is okay as usual. I now recall I had not seen the little old lady with the cotton bonnet outside for quite some time. Just knowing that everything she had would now become the property of someone else just about broke my heart. I could not stop. I did not want to intrude on her property and privacy which she had guarded so well for many many years. Now everything was in public view.
*
I hope the people who purchased this lady's possessions will take care of them as well as she did. I will never look at the house or property the same.
*
This auction was also a realization for me that time does go by and things do change.

2 comments:

Bibby said...

Maybe look at it like her things will bring others happiness.
I know you will miss seeing her out working in her yard.
Hope your back is better.

Theresa said...

That is sad to see and sad to lose a sweet neighbor.