Thursday, October 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Big Brother!

Glitter Photos

A Note to my Big Brother....

Happy Birthday! This is your special day and a special day for your little sisters. We love you so much! I hope this day brings you much joy and love!

What does my Big Brother mean to me? He is the guy that taught me how to tie my shoes, ride a bike, improve my reading and play board games. He is the guy that would buy his little sisters big bottles of soda and yum yums and let us ride with him in his car! When he married SIL, he never forgot his little sisters. When he and SIL went on vacation, he would always bring us back some little treasure. He still comes South to visit his little sisters and Mom at least once or twice a year.

Big brother loved sports growing up and still does. Now he has his own family of three children and nine grandchildren. He is an integral part of their lives. He loves to watch his grandchildren participate in sports and other activities. If you ask him what he has been up to, he will usually tell you something surrounding the children or grandchildren. He and SIL are on the go constantly keeping up with the grandkids.

But it is not always the children and grandchildren. Big Brother and SIL have volunteered at the local elementary school to tutor children. Big Brother also watches out over SIL's mother. She is elderly and a widow. He takes her to doctors appointments, to visit family and friends. He also spends the week nights with his elderly MIL so she will not be alone. SIL still works. Big Brother is retired. So care of his MIL is foremost too in his life.

I believe my brothers best attribute is his ability to give of himself, but he is also probably one of the best conversationalists I know. He can engage you in conversation and never make the conversation about himself. His conversation will be questions and general points. When the conversation is finished, you will know he never talked about himself. I don't really know many people like that and can name maybe two others in my lifetime that have that ability.

Big brother also loves history. He watches TV, reads or listens (books on tape or cd) to whatever he can on history. I don't believe I could win a game of Trivial Pursuit against Big Brother when it comes to history. He has instilled in his little sisters the drive to know more about history. So we all dig into history in some form or fashion in our own ways because of him.

My very favorite things is to hear that deep voice of Big Brother say "hello" to me on the phone and his wonderful laugh!

I could say so much more, but I will save that for another day and blog. So ending this special post to Big Brother, have a great birthday on this your very special day!

Love always,

Little Sister #2 aka Snowbird

No comments: