Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Miss You Mom

It has been one year since my Mother passed away. I think about her each and every day. Isn't the ability to have memories the most wonderful thing about our human brain? I think about all the time we spent together from a little girl onward. Some memories are good and some are not so good, but that is part of life.

My favorite times with my Mom was eating one of her homecooked meals, shopping for fabric and patterns, buying items for the house or just sitting and talking. I enjoyed listening to her life stories of growing up in the South. Most of all her thoughts relating to her children, family and friends.

Mom came from that "greatest generation" as Tom Brokaw called them. She was thrifty and practical. I watched her life change over the years and especially when age would no longer let her do the things she enjoyed most like gardening. But she could still supervise that activity. One of my most recent favorite times was sitting with her and watching my little sister and nieces prepare their container gardens under her watchful eye. Mom definitely had a green thumb.

Mom taught me how to sew, how to can and freeze foods, how to garden and how to love God, family and friends. She didn't have a Mother when she was growing up so nurturing was not her strong suit, but she loved her children, family and friends in the best way she knew how.

It is my solace that God is caring for her and she is enjoying each and every day now of her new life in eternity.

I miss you so much Mom!

1 comment:

Scrabblequeen said...

Missing someone you loved is hard...I am glad you have such wonderful memories to fall back on when you feel lonely.