Sunday, May 2, 2010

Drill Baby Drill?

"Drill baby drill" has taken on a whole new meaning over the last couple of weeks since the disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm thinking that a few people living on the Gulf Coast wish that little catch phrase had never been said. If you live on the Gulf Coast like I do, I would like to tell a few folks where to put that catch phrase right now.

The oil spill is disastrous. As of my last reading of the news, the oil could possibly make it into the Atlantic. For now, measures are being taken to try and keep the oil away from the shores, wetlands and nature areas. There are too few measures being tried to handle such a monumental disaster/task. I believe that countermeasures in case of disaster should have been in place before drilling was allowed. Waiting until after a disaster is a day late and a dollar short.

Can you tell I am extremely angry over this? You would be too if you lived on the Gulf Coast and knew what the beautiful shorelines will soon become -- one big gooey black mess.

Apart from the oil, what about the families who have lost loved ones in the disaster? Very little has been said about them and even those who were injured.

Yep, I'm pretty angry over this as are a lot of folks on the Gulf Coast.

No comments: