Monday, February 11, 2008

Learning How to Knit

I would be remiss if I didn't thank the person who taught me to knit many years ago (1968-1969). She was my Junior High School English teacher. We would read aloud certain lessons and present thoughts on whatever the assignment was for the day--nouns, pronouns, adverbs, adjectives, etc. As we were doing so, my English teacher would be knitting and listening. You would think that the knitting would distract her from paying close attention to her students, but it did not. When she laid her needles down and stood up, we knew it was time for serious English lessons. It was the "lovelies" she used and the projects she made that captivated me and drove me to learn how to knit. So one day, after class, I asked her if she would teach me. She told me to buy size seven needles and a skein of inexpensive yarn. So off to the dime store I went with my Mom and she bought me the needles and a skein of "purple" yarn. My first project was a pair of slippers with pom-poms. That was the beginning of many years of knitting. I can never thank my English teacher enough for taking the time after school to teach me how to knit. Thank you Mrs. Miller. She has long since passed, but a part of her lives on whenever I pick up my needles and yarn.

1 comment:

Tonni said...

That is a wonderful memory. You were lucky to have such a good "english" teacher!