Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day 2010

A time to remember all the men in my life -- my husband, brother, nephews, friends and my Dad. My Dad passed in 2005. I think about him a lot and miss him so much. He was such a great Dad. He always listened. He could "read me like a book". So he said often. I couldn't hide much from him. Very intuitive man. What I think about most was how in his final years his mind could no longer hang on to life. Alzheimer's had taken a strong hold. He did remember my name on one of the final days that I visited him. That was a plus. It's my prayer that a cure for this devastating disease can be found soon.

Today, my little sister, who lives next door, brought me some freshly picked blueberries from bushes my Dad had planted years ago. It was one of his favorite summer fruits. Bunny (my niece) reminded her today that they should pick them. So over came little sister with a quart bag of washed berries for me. It made me cry. A wonderful reminder of my Dad and one of things he enjoyed in life -- tending to his blueberries.

Happy Father's Day to all Dad's and those who are not. This is a special day. May we remember also our heavenly Father whose love for us will give me the opportunity again some day to see my Dad in heaven. I praise Him for this wonderous love.

Snowbird

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

What a sweet post! I love that your sister shared your dad's blueberries with you.

Your reading mitts are lovely too!

Unknown said...

What a sweet memory of your father. Someone who recently lost her father asked me when the pain stops and I had to say never...but it becomes bearable. Never a day goes by that I don't think about him, how much he would have loved my granddaughters, and remember one of his funny sayings.